What are the "IB Requirements" of IDU's?
Quotes below are from grey boxes in in the IDU guide. Bullet points are WAB notes.
We are on a journey: focus on learning. Don't worry.
"In each year of the programme, MYP schools are responsible for engaging students in at least one collaboratively planned interdisciplinary unit that involves at least two subject groups." (source)
- All students need to have IDU experiences each year. "At least one" is not a limitation.
"When engaging students in formal, collaboratively planned interdisciplinary units, schools must use the interdisciplinary unit planning process." (source)
- This is a supported, collaborative planning process. Don't worry.
"In each year of the programme, schools must address all four objectives (every strand) of interdisciplinary learning." (source)
- These strands can be a good guide for planning and reflection, as well as assessment. It is a journey, don't worry.
"Schools must report student achievement in interdisciplinary learning to students and parents." (source)
- Reporting takes many forms; it doesn't need to be high-stakes and shouldn't undermine the learning. Don't worry.
"When engaging students in formal collaboratively planned interdisciplinary units, schools must use the interdisciplinary assessment criteria to inform formative assessment and to determine achievement levels for summative assessment tasks." (source)
- This is a complex puzzle to solve. We are on a journey, put the learning first. Don't worry.
Further clarification on applying the IDU criteria is here.